Friday, October 9, 2009

Sept.10, 2009

Here's some of the books I read last week (I read a lot. Plus being broke kind of limits you options re: entertainment). These I checked out from the library here in Fort Worth:
Genesis, by Bernard Beckett: SF. Never read this author before. It was a short book (almost a novelette...whatever the hell makes it one of those- length, I think). I really enjoyed it. It is written from the POV of the protagonist, and is set in a post-apocalyptic world. It has quite a twist at the end. I would highly recommend it. I'll definitely read more by this dude.
Rating: 4

WWW : wake, by Robert J. Sawyer: Also SF. Very cool concept set in a near-future world whereby the internet develops consciousness and helps a blind girl learn to see. Not bad. Read it if the concept interests you. Rating: 3

The Caryatids, by Bruce Sterling: Yes, more Science Fiction. I like SF. Did you figure that out? Who am I talking to? NOW who I am asking that question to? Am I just amusing myself? Yes. This is a weird book. Set in another post-world-disaster (caused by human pollution this time) world. About some clones. Hard to describe. Good, not great. Read it if it sounds interesting to you. If it doesn't, don't. Actually, that is probably pretty good advice for all your future reading. So, feel free to use it. Although it is good to force yourself to read something you might not ordinarily read sometimes, just to try something out of your comfort zone. You might find something cool. But most of the times you'll just waste time trying to wade through some crap...(trust me; I've tried it many times). Rating: 3

Well, since I intend to blog about some of my reading, maybe I should expound on my likes/dislikes/how I'll do it a little. Probably I should not do that; I should just delete this shit-poor blog, jump in front of a car, and save everyone a lot of grief. But, instead, I'll expound on my reading philosophy.

I read a lot of different stuff. Here are some of the genres I read most often, along with some of my favorite authors:

Fiction: Science Fiction (Larry Niven, Rebecca Ore, Stephen R. Donaldson, Nancy Kress, Doris Pisceria); Fantasy (Stephen Erikson, Stephen Brust, Stephen R. Donaldson, Terry Goodkind, Orson Scott Card); Other?: Stephen King, Dan Simmons. I have a friend who has got me interested in reading some of the classics again, so I will start doing that ASAP.

Non-Fiction: Subjects I like include: nature, wildlife, birds, mammals, paleontology, geology, science in general, astrology, cosmology, physics (low-level, me not understand high-level math), true crime, fishing, outdoor adventure or survival stories.


I guess I'll include a rating for books I write a short review on; let's say a 5-point scale, where 1= sucks like a Hoover vacuum, 2= bad, 3= good, 4= excellent, and 5= great; a classic in my opinion. Is that fair? Who gives a fuck. That's what I’ll use. Feel free to disregard it; I probably will.

More later. Promise, not threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment