Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oct.20, 2009

I finished some Graphic Novels yesterday:
All-Star Superman, Vol. 2, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, 2009. I reviewed the first volume briefly before; this is the second and final volume of this collection. Let me say, I'll read almost any comic series once, but Superman has never been one of my favorites; I tend to enjoy him more teaming up with Batman or as a part of the JLA. But Grant Morrison is always excellent, and I love Quitelys art. They merge into a seamless team in this series, which may be the best Superman stuff I've ever read, anyway. This is a great work in this medium, and I would recommend it to all. Rating = 4.
The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters. From Marvels' Ultimate universe, another tale of this "alternate Avengers" group. I'll keep it short. Good. I like the Ultimates as I read more of them. Not crazy about Ultimate Spider-man, X-Men, or fantastic Four, but I like this group. Rating = 3.
Fables, by Bill Willingham and others. Yesterday I read Vol. 2: Animal Farm and Vol. 3: Storybook Love, the only two volumes I hadn't ever read (out of the first 11 voulmes- I've got Vol. 12 requested from the library, but haven't read it yet). I also re-read Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons. I rate the collective first 11 volumes collecting this landmark series a 5. Yes; it's that good. If you haven't read this series, and you are a literate adult, and you like comics/graphic novels, you are seriously missing out. I am going to add a list of my recommended reads, and this series will be one of the few in the Graphic Novel/comic category. Let's see if I can clear this up: READ THIS SERIES IT IS DAMN GOOD STUFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment