Saturday, October 10, 2009

Oct.3, 2009

I finished with two more books since my last post:

Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time, by Richard Conniff, 2009. Non-fiction. This guy (you may regonize his name- I did, althogh I couldn't remember who he was until I read the book jacket) is a long-time outdoor/nature writer/tv host/media-nature-animals-kind of dude. If you like nature writing, or just good writing, read this book. This guy has an engaging, humorous, friendly writing style that, for me, made the book fly by. I throughly enjoyed it. Oh- what's it about? Lot's of short (1 chapter) anocdotal stories from his life in nature journalism. He even mad termites interesting. In case you can't guess- rating is a 5.

Texas Unexplained: strange tales and mysteries from the Lone Star state, by Jay Sharp, 1999.Man, I was looking forward to this book. I requested it from a branch of the library, and eagerly broke it open once I got it...I couldn't have been more disappointed if Kate Beckingsale was in a movie called Nude Beach Volleyball and only did a voice-over...I find the "cryptic world" very fascinating. I usually end up not buying inot it, but give me a good book on cryptozoology, aliens, paranormal, or whatever, and I'm fascinated. This dude managed to make it suck. His chapter on Bigfoot in Texas, for example, was a fake interview with Bigfoot. Yep, it was just as bad as that sounds. Poorly written, a waste of time, didn't read most of it because I decided it'd be a better use of my time to stare blankly at wallpaper instead. A waste of a good tree. Rating: 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment