Saturday, October 10, 2009

Oct.10, 2009

I read three Graphic Novels yesterday:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 3. This collection of the comic series by Robert Kirkman continues to keep up a high standard. I'd heartily recommend it so far, although there are already 10 volumes in the Graphic Novel collection, so I still have a ways to go. Maybe it'll start sucking soon...but not so far. Rating: 4.
X-Men: Empereor Vulcan. This collects the mini-series of the same name. I am a little out of date as to my X-Men continuity, and I wasn't familiar with Vulcan, who is apparently the younger bother of the Summers brothers (Cyclops and Havoc), who was pulled out of his dying mother's uterus and raised as an alien. OK. Sometimes comic book story manipulation irritates me, but I'm used to it...Anyway, I actually enjoyed this a lot. Often mini-series (ESPECIALLY X-Men mini-series) are just cranked out to capitalize on the selling power of the book (as I wondered about this, since it's actually really about the Starjammers, not the X-Men, although several past (and future, I'm sure) X-Men are in it, like Rachael Grey/Phoenix, Havoc, and Polaris). But this one was worth the money (actually, I checked it out from the library, but you know what I mean...). Rating: 4.
The Ultimates 3, vol. 1: who Killed the Scarlet Witch? The Ultimates, in case you don't know, are kind of the alternate Marvel universe (the Ultimate universe, dude) version of the Avengers. I wasn't crazy about the entire Ultimate universe idea when Marvel first floated it, and I'm pretty indifferent to the Ultimate versions of the X-Men and Spider-Man, but I like the Ultimates (and also the Ultimate Hulk- he eats people sometimes). This is the third series, 1st volume collection, I guess (could they make it any more fucking complicated? How about series 12, volume 32, sub-section 19, division 4, chapter 13, version 4.1?). But anyway. Title kind of tells the subject. Overall good. The Terminator imitating robots taking over the Ultimates ids was stupid, though. But pretty good anyway. Rating is a 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment